Saturday, March 1, 2014

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut


Hey, I know what I like. There's other authors I like, too, I promise. I found this at my school library and decided to give it a read since it's fairly short (a little over 200 pages) and figure I could squeeze that in somewhere. It still took me over a month to find the time to finish it. In a way I like being busy and having a lot to do. I don't think I've said the words "I'm bored" in maybe a year. I do miss having time to read books and watch movies as often as I used to, but I have to get edumicated so I can edumicate others, right? Right.
So Timequake is a semi autobiographical, semi truth, semi fictional story. It can be hard to discern what is true and what isn't in this book. It's a collection of small stories thrown together as many of Vonnegut's books are, and the especially short chapters make it easy for people like me to pick it up and read a couple of chapters and put it back down until next time. I'm not going to spoil any of the story, especially since it's kind of short, but suffice to say that there's an event that occurs called a timequake. Everyone and everything in the world is suddenly catapulted ten years back in time and must relive everything that they went through up until the point where the timequake occurred. Without free will. Meaning that even though someone knows they are going to do something awful, like say marry the wrong person, they can't think differently, or express anything differently, etc. It's an instant replay, good, bad, life, death and everything else. I enjoyed the hell out of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment