Thursday, July 11, 2013

And now for something utterly deedamnlicious...


Are there really things in this world as great and delicious as a really good hamburger? I have to wonder...
While I'm sure there are some better things out there somewhere, I, like many other fat, meat loving Americans enjoy a bigass chunk of meat on a soft and sexy bun. Hmm... using the words "sexy buns" might get me some more views on this thing.
Anyway, from time to time I like to go in search of new burgers, whether in restaurants or to find recipes for on the internet to recreate at home. For this particular post I'm doing both. Say hello to the Fetaburger, made popular and delicious by that delicious and in many ways awesome Greek restaurant in Birmingham, Nabeel's (link below). I've been a fan of Nabeel's for many years and when I lived in Birmingham went there to eat at least once a month. They have many epic Greek dishes but the Fetaburger stole my cholesterol clogged heart long ago. Here's a pic from the restaurant I found on Urbanspoon:


This succulent looking bigass burger is no mere delicious burger. It's stuffed with feta cheese and a variety of spices. Those fries on the plate are really damn good as well. I think they actually cut them at the restaurant and season them with a blend of Greek spices. It's also served with Taziki sauce which my girlfriend has made for me before, but I didn't have time to get any made and also I kind of forgot but we will press on anyway.
Now that I live 200 miles away from Birmingham I can't exactly drop everything and drive three hours to have dinner. I've been craving one of these delicious burgers for a while now so the thought came to me to try and make one myself. I'm pretty good in the kitchen... but how am I gonna figure out what goes into this whole shebang?
Lord praise the internet. There's a YouTube video of the owner of the restaurant and his chef making them on a local news show. I tried to embed it here but Blogger wouldn't let me for some reason so I'll just put a link to it at the end of this post. Here's the recipe:

2lbs. of delicious beef
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oregano
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs
Salt & pepper
6 oz. of feta cheese
The recipe also called for tomatoes and onions, which I left out because I'm not a big fan of either, and also for a special Greek cheese to melt on top like a traditional cheeseburger. I couldn't find it anywhere around here and didn't want to mess up a delicious burger by putting some provolone or something on there so I left it off.
So here's my ingredients:

Yes, we have a small kitchen, but hey, those dishes are clean. So basically I just mixed everything in with my meat.

Yep. That's a bowl o' meat. I wasn't sure about the bread crumbs. I know some people always add bread crumbs to their burgers but I never have. Since I'm following a recipe (loosely) here, I added them in.


I slapped out some burgers and attempted to slice some feta, but as you can see the feta I have is more for crumbling than for slicing. No worries, though. I used what I considered to be a generous amount.


Then I used some more meat to kinda seal them up. These are some very big burgers. I ended up not even using the entire two pounds of meat and I could only eat a burger and a half (and I can eat, believe me).


Yeah, seriously big burgers. I cooked them over medium-low heat about ten minutes on a side and they came out beautifully. Cooked all the way through, cheese melted, juicy and flavorful.

 I decided to use the Publix French hamburger rolls. They are ridiculously good, fresh, and have that nice chewy texture on the outside and are soft on the inside. Plus the bakery lady was nice enough to let me buy four instead of the usual eight.
They toast very nicely, too. I think a toasted bun adds something to any burger.












Just so y'all could get an idea. I tried to get a better picture than that but I am using a cell phone camera. Maybe I'll get a nice camera one day. I chomped this down with some ketchup and called it a day. The cheese is great, but it's the spices that really make this burger what it is. I'd even use the same spices for a regular burger without the cheese stuffing. So... is mine as good as Nabeel's? Nope. But mine is pretty damn good, and that could be homesickness talking. Overall I'm happy with how they turned out and my girlfriend was, too. This is also a budget friendly recipe considering it makes enough food for four people and costs under $20. And this is good eats, y'all, not Hamburger Helper. I sure do love Hamburger Helper, though.

Here's a link to the website for Nabeel's restaurant in Birmingham, AL. Hopefully I'll be up there to see y'all soon.
Here's a link to that YouTube video I told y'all about. It's only four minutes and definitely worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment