Monday, July 22, 2013

Moving...

I got fired today. We got a new store manager about two or three weeks ago and she was power tripping, as many new managers do. So what did I do to get fired?
Steal? No.
Being rude to a customer? No.
Making terrorist threats? Close, but no.

I didn't card a sixty year old woman who was buying beer.
Not sixteen, one six, no.
Sixty. Six zero.
Apparently, it's against company policy to sell alcohol to anyone without checking their ID first, even if the person is obviously old enough. I was not aware of this policy, and ridiculous though it may be, I got fired over it. So what does this mean for me?

I'm moving back to Birmingham. Why, you ask?
Well, ever since (and before) I moved to Dothan I've tried to find a decent job here. Last count I applied for over 200 jobs. Know how many interviews I went on? None, except Dollar General.
There just aren't that many jobs around here. I realize that this probably isn't really my fault, but I still feel like a failure. I just knew that we could make things work. We could make it through. Now it looks like to help out my girlfriend I'm going back to Birmingham where I'll have a much easier time finding a job. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to the pizza joint I worked at before I moved down here.
As I said earlier, I feel like I have failed. I feel like a loser.
That's not going to stop me from doing my best to provide for myself and my girlfriend. Before I moved I worked two jobs totalling about 60 hours a week and would have no problem doing that again as long as I was making decent money. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you want, huh?
She's gonna stay here and finish the fall semester of school and should be joining me in Birmingham in December if all goes as planned... and I pray it does. I'm going back tomorrow and will start my job search immediately. I'll keep y'all updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment