Sunday, June 9, 2013

Jiro Dreams of Sushi


My girlfriend suggested we watch this movie because she knows I like sushi, though I haven't had any in a while and thanks to this film am now struck with an undeniable craving for it. It's about Jiro Ono, arguably the best sushi chef in the world and his restaurant Sukiyabashi Jiro in Tokyo. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this movie before. Well technically it's a documentary, but I digress.
Jiro wanted to become a sushi chef from the time he was nineteen. He takes perfectionist to a whole new level, using only the best of the best ingredients and everything has to be done the right way or no way. He sacrificed his family life and personal life to develop his mastery of making perfect sushi. Did it pay off? I think so. Jiro definitely seems happy with his life being now 85 and still going to work every day. He has trained countless apprentices including his two sons, one of which has opened his own sushi restaurant in a different part of the city. I won't give away any more of the film, but if you are a foodie, a sushi fan, or even a documentary fan I would wholeheartedly encourage you to check this one out. I fall into all three of those categories and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Are there any sushi restaurants in Dothan?

Here's the movie's official website.

Here's Jiro's restaurant's official website (in English). If you want to make reservations you have to do so a month in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment